Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Clear Channel - Day 56

What a beautiful day here in Santa Monica. Took a nice long walk to the ocean and back. Despite the beautiful weather and the opportunity to enjoy the sun, the people and the sights of my little community, I was a bit down when I started out. I had just heard that Rolonda Watts got the role that I also auditioned for on the Corbin Bernsen film, 25 Hill. What a fine line between being happy for someone else and disappointed that it wasn't you. Yikes! Got a pep talk from my neighbor Floyd who shared about the sacrifices he made when he bought a apartment building in 1972 for $80,000. It took him 20 years to pay it off and it's now worth about 2 million dollars. Also got a pep talk from my friend Andrea who reminded me that, like her, in one minute, it could all turn around. We haven't been working toward our goals all this time for nothing and we are already living our dreams. How dare I complain or be sad as I roam around Santa Monica Pier with the tourists in the middle of the day??
Then as I was working on my budget and finances, I read an article about Walt Disney, Nelson Mandela and Dr. Seuss entitled, What Did They Overcome? Walt Disney filed bankruptcy and lost the rights he had for an animated series he developed called Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in 1927. As we all know, his legacy includes a famous mouse and a multi-billion dollar company. Nelson Mandela served 27 years in prison(almost a third of his life), turned down a release offer because it conflicted with his values, yet was elected as South Africa's first Black president four years after he was released from jail. Dr. Seuss was rejected between 20 - 30 times while shopping his writing around. His first seller was released in 1937 but it wasn't until 1955 that he completed his famous work The Cat In The Hat, at the age of 51. And we all know the story of Colonel Sanders.
So, that said, I need an attitude adjustment 'cause I'm in this business for the long haul. It's never too late. Being a performer, creator, entertainer and artist is my life's purpose, my calling...it's the reason I was put here on this planet so I might as well get used to it. I'm in it to win it! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment