Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Clear Channel - Day 45

Saw Emmett Till at The Fountain Theatre tonight. Excellent production, the acting was superb. It was a packed house and has been extended several times. This production was brought to The Fountain by Ben Bradley who had started directing it at the time of his brutal murder on Jan. 1 of this year. As a matter of fact, the actors where waiting for him to show up at rehearsal that day, only to find out later than he had been stabbed to death in his home. While watching the play this evening, I couldn't help but to think of the irony...Ben wanted the story of Emmett Till's life and murder to be heard but before he could see it through he was murdered himself. I miss Ben's presence at the Fountain, he would be outside directing traffic in the parking lot and often giving the curtain speech. I was happy to see large photos of him all over as well as tributes in the program. I got to know Ben when he directed me as alternate for Aunt Ester in August Wilson's Gem Of The Ocean at the end of 2008. Tonight's blog is dedicated to Bennett Bradley. "You knew this story had to be told and I say Thank You."

No comments:

Post a Comment